[07 - 14 Sep 2019] - PoetBay's at a major crossroad (Community discussion | Update 2)

 

 

14 Sep 2019 

 

Hi everyone,

 

Ok, where to start... First, we apologize that we sort of disappeared on you in the last few days after dropping this bad news your way.  But, as hectic as our personal lives are, we've moved along some in our figuring out our options.

 

This is a long process as there are many facets of consideration to take into account and many setup steps to undertake before the real analysis/work can begin.  So, here's what's moved along since last update to this community discussion.

 

The small good news of our situation is that we obtained an extension of time before our hosting company goes ahead with their upgrades.  

 

The not-so-great, our webhost is actually cancelling our hosting monthly plan to move their systems to newer ones.  So we will need to move our website to a new server ourselves.  Initially, our webhost offered to do that for us, but then suddenly changed their minds on that offer.  Without explanations even though we asked for them to explain.  They refuse to answer.  Sooo...

 

We've wasted quite a few days trying to get answers from them.  It's left us feeling a little disheartened to be dealt with in this manner especially since we've given them business for 10 years.  We feel we don't have much of a choice to find a new hosting company after our set deadline when the cancellation will be going ahead.  

 

Dealing with searching for a new company, then doing the move and installations to make the website work on the new server are added tasks on top of the biggest task it will be to analyze the effects of the upgrades on the functionality of our website, let alone fix them if they're fixable. 

 

We're in a bad way, won't lie to you.  That being said, it's not to mean that we won't continue to try our very best to arrive at a successful outcome. 

 

We realize our words are probably not offering much reassurance right now, but we feel we need to be completely honest with you and let you know what our position looks like right now.  My husband and I have our lives, kids and health issues to take care of, and as volunteers on limited time, we feel the situation is a monumental pickle... and we're not sure we'll make it.  We'll keep trying, but we're just not sure.


Here's what's been going on in the background.

 

SUMMARY OF STEPS:

 

1-  Get clarifications from webhost company about their plans

2-  Communications with webhost (not very helpful in the end)

3-  In the meantime of doing 1 & 2, we began building a new development environment (upgraded system) with the latest versions so we can transfer all the website files and the database where we will be able to work on the code without affecting the online website that our members use.

4-  Came up with complications during initial install because of hardware and finding replacements.  Spent 2 days on sorting that part.

5-  Successfully installed the initial install on the new hardware.  Yesterday and today we tweaked our development environment with further installations of needed application tools for the complete functioning system we need to run our website.
6-  Today we've copied and transferred all of the website files and the database onto our development environment.  This is a long process because i) there are hundreds of files and ii) the system is managed by user permissions and we have to make sure that all of the users' system permissions are the same on the new system (server environment stuff).  This step and all following ones become very technical from this point on.

  

NEXT STEPS


-  analyze the new development enviroment with all the website files included
-  analyze how the upgrades affect our website's functionality
-  providing the damage isn't too extensive, we'll have to recode the sections that are affected

-  during the recoding, we'll need members to test the website as we make changes to the code

 


Again, we're really sorry about all this uncertainty.  We'll keep informing you as we move along in these processes of our attempt to rescue PB.  For my part, I will do my best to not get too technical, but this phase is all technical stuff.  I'll try to keep it simple :-) 


We'll be back with more soon...


Isabelle

 

 

==========================================

 

 

08 Sep 2019

 

 

Answer to your comments in the comment section below.

 

 

Isabelle

 

 

=========================================

 

07 Sep 2019

 

 

Hi everyone,

It's with a heavy heart that we must inform you PoetBay has once again reached a crossroad as experienced in 2009. 

In 2009, a great amount of volunteer work (labor of love) had to be put in to meet the demands of the latest Internet standards.  With a few tweaks along the way, PoetBay has surprisingly had a good run.

 

But here we are now in 2019, finding ourselves in a position where a major amount of work has to be done once more to meet the current Internet standards. 

We're open to any thoughts from the community about this situation...

Sincerely,

Isabelle & Anna





Words by Editorial Team The PoetBay support member heart!
Read 45 times
Written on 2019-09-15 at 01:24

dott Save as a bookmark (requires login)
dott Write a comment (requires login)
dott Send as email
dott Print text



Coo & Co The PoetBay support member heart!
Members of Coo & Co second Ken's sentiments. We haven't logged in for a while because our FT has been overloaded. Please let us know if there's anything we can do to help. We're contactable via Facebook as well as here :>)
2019-09-15


ken d williams The PoetBay support member heart!
Dear Isabelle & Anna, I - WE all appreciate all that you are doing to keep our poetbay going. Thank you both for keeping us informed of what is going on.
poetbay is a uniting of force of all that is good in the greatness of humanity. Through writing in all the forms of expressing the kindness support in words.
Ken D
2019-09-15


ken d williams The PoetBay support member heart!
I WE all thank you all for all that you do and are doing for us all. poetbay is in part of the inner harts of our minds. With out poetbay, we would not be the writers we are. All due to those we have met on poetbay.
Ken D
2019-09-09


Editorial Team The PoetBay support member heart!
Hi Jim, Shells, Ken, Josephus, Elle & everyone else who responded,

Thanks for responding to this. We weren't sure where our members' hearts were at concerning PB.

Not wishing to alarm anyone but we are in a sticky spot on many fronts concerning the current situation. What is happening as an overview is that our hosting company are wishing to upgrade their systems to the latest versions of the programs that make PB work. If they do that, PB's code (the website) won't work anymore, as what happened in 2009.

So what it means is that we need to update our code, on a large scale (hundreds of files of code and a database). This sort of project needs a team of more than 2 people who can dedicate their time on a full-time basis. However, we have no means at all to pay for the extra hands we would require to do what PB has been needing for many years now. That has been our biggest obstacle in resolving the issue. It would be a very big project and we feel pretty embarrassed at the thought of asking for volunteers considering the time and the level of expertise required of any programmer that could join us. It doesn't feel reasonable to us...

We've been in communication with our hosting company for further details about their upgrade plans. Also hoping they'll perhaps understand our situation and allow us an extension of time before they go ahead with their upgrades. As soon as we know more from our hosting company, we'll have a better idea of what direction to take, if any is feasible in the circumstances. We hope with all our hearts we will be able to resolve this for you.

We are trying our very best to find solutions, like last time. If the community still wants us to keep PB going, we will try as hard as we did in 2009, hoping we can be successful again.

We'll keep you updated as and when we know more. We're really sorry about all this. We will have more info for you soon - we are actively in the process of figuring it out! First thing we need is our hosting company's reply to our requests for information about their upgrade plans. We're in waiting.

Thanks for bearing with us during this difficult time. Please keep sharing your thoughts with us and we'll also keep the conversation going on this post so that the whole community can be part of what's going on. We'll do our best to reply within 48hrs (to account for the difficulty of time zone differences between Anna & us). However, if it's not possible, be assured we'll get back to you as soon as we can.

Sincerely,

Isabelle
2019-09-09


Elle The PoetBay support member heart!
If I can help I will, although time is limited here for me - if I could make a suggestion, could you devise a way that for people like me who live in out of the way places - being neither european or american can actually pay the subscription, - the Channel Islands does not support your current pay and as I am a dinosaur and refuse to have a credit card. I would love to help if I can in any way as this site means a lot to me and I have made many friends who have supported me through my ill health

Elle x
2019-09-08


josephus The PoetBay support member heart!
Concerned and ready to assist where possible.
2019-09-08


ken d williams The PoetBay support member heart!
Our poetbay is unique. Anything that we has members can do to keep our poetbay going just let us know please.
Ken (D) Williams
2019-09-08


shells
I echo Jims post, please help us all to understand what is required.
2019-09-08


jim The PoetBay support member heart!
Could you explain what sort of work needs to be done, what issues you're facing, and what sort of help you need.

jim
2019-09-07